One of the only maintenance factors of a wooden fence is staining. Staining a Richmond wooden fence should happen once every few years at least to keep your fence looking fresh and new. Staining helps to make the wood even more distinctive, as there are many stain colors to choose from. Staining a wood fence is more popular than painting since the staining highlights the wood’s natural color, grain and texture.
Here are a few tips to follow when staining your Richmond wooden fence:
- Plan for sunny skies – It’s incredibly difficult to stain a deck if there is inclement weather. Plan to stain a deck when there will be no rain for at least 48 hours to allow time for you to stain and the stain to set into your fence. You wouldn’t want the rain to wash off the great staining job you did!
- Choose a staining method – You can use a brush, a roller or a spray gun. Using a spray gun is the fastest method, but you can achieve a cleaner and more even stain from doing it by hand. If you don’t have a lot of time to devote to staining your fence, hiring a professional is also another fence staining method that will save you time and still let you have a professional-looking Richmond wooden fence.
- Cover everything up – Cover the bushes and areas around the wooden fence before you start staining with tarp or other similar material so none of it gets ruined by the staining process. If you have weathered wood, it should be bleached prior to staining to kill any mold or mildew growth.
- Inspect & clean the fence – Look for any weak or rotten boards before you start staining your fence. If all of the boards are looking good, power wash the fence. It is also good to have a scrub brush and a solution of water and soap handy.
- Stain your fence – Try out your stain in a small corner of your fence. If you like what you see, continue staining the rest of the fence. Apply the stain in the same direction as the grain using short and even strokes. Most of the time, up to three coats of stain may need to be applied. Be safe when staining! Wear a mask and protective goggles.
At Hercules Fence of Richmond VA, we pride ourselves in our extensive styles and options of wood fence. Wood fencing provides a natural and rustic look to complement your home. Our sales team can offer you many selections to choose from to accommodate your privacy, semi-privacy, and decorative needs. At Hercules Fence, we put safety and environmental awareness first. All of our lumber meets and/or exceeds industry standards, as well as conforms to the latest EPA requirements. Whether you prefer the rich, untreated look of Cedar, or the durable, pressure-treated ACQ lumber, Hercules Fence can accommodate all of your wood fencing needs.
If you choose Hercules Fence of Richmond, VA today, you’ll learn why we’re the best in the business. The knowledgeable people of Hercules Fence have developed a reputation since 1955 for professional service and quality installation. With over 50 years in the fence business, we are well aware that our reputation must be earned anew every day.
Contact Hercules Fence of Richmond, VA today at (804)752-7992 or contact us on our website to talk about a residential or commercial fence.
Source: Fence Staining Tips, Networx